Tuesday 20 October 2015

Gougane Barra and Bantry Bay.

I've been wanting to post these photos for a while, but due to our terrible broadband connection I haven't been able to until now, so apologies for them being a bit dated.

A couple of months ago we had a jaunt down to West Cork to Gougane Barra, Ireland's first National Park which opened in 1966,  near the town of Macroom.

In the distance, you can see St. Finbarr's Oratory, which stands on a small island on the lake. St. Finbarr is the patron saint of Cork, who died in 623 A.D.


Built at the end of the 19th century, the church is very popular place for weddings and pilgrims still gather there each year on the 25th September for the feast of St. Finbarr.


   
There's a hotel, small gift shop and bar/cafĂ©, which you can just see on the right of the photo. Sorry it's in the distance, but a coach full of people had just turned up so it was quite busy.
 



Inside the church.


Next to the church are the remains of St, Finbarr's monastery from the 6th century.

 
 
 
 
 



Very quaint public loos.


 
Before we headed back home we went on a bit further down the coast towards Bantry Bay.
 
 
 
 
We didn't stop for long as we had to head back, but hopefully we'll get back down that way again next year and have a good look around.

 
 



On the way home, my OH took this shot of this beautiful garden as we were going over a bridge, (I was driving).



I hope to be able to upload photos of the Forest Park in the next post, if the broadband lets me. :-)

Thanks for dropping by.

22 comments:

  1. Hello Deb!:) Everywhere you look there are scenes of great beauty. The church is situated in such a picturesque setting ..a perfect place for a wedding, and the loo is right out of "Lord of the Rings" Lovely bay and garden shots also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BT. I thought the loos looked like a Hobbit's house when I first saw them too. :-)

      Delete
  2. I am just so very glad that you have finally managed to get enough of an internet connection to post - it was worth the wait :) What beautiful scenery and photographs. Bantry Bay is just stunning and I would love to be able to visit the Oratory. You live in a very beautiful part of the world!

    Hope broadband lets you upload photos of the Forest Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline. It is lovely down there, it's a shame we didn't have time to explore Bantry Bay more, but hopefully we will next summer.
      The broadband seems to be behaving at the moment. ;-)

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful. Lovely photos - everywhere looks so clean and clear and fresh. Hope the broadband behaves itself :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. It is very clean, even the loos won an award!
      Broadband seems ok at the moment, maybe they've actually listened to all the customer's complaints at last. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. The quality of light in your pictures is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT and thanks for dropping by.:-)

      Delete
  5. Great photos, it looks a lovely place to visit, unfortunately for us it is just too far as we have all the animals to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. It is a lovely place, one of Ireland's hidden gems. :-)

      Delete
  6. Great Photos Deb. Thanks for visiting West Cork. I always wanted to live here on the Sheeps Head Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dave. You live in a lovely part of Ireland.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back and I hope the broadband continues to behave itself. Stunning landscapes, Deb, and those loos are really cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. Fingers crossed on the broadband. The loos are good aren't they. :-) xx

      Delete
  9. Hello, I spotted the words Gougane Barra on CJ's sidebar and just had to visit. I stayed there on my second to last night in Ireland and it was my favourite. Such beauty and that light is amazing. Thanks for the photos and the happy reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, I wish that we could have stayed longer too, it is such a tranquil place. Thanks for dropping by and thanks for following. :-)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place and your photos are great too.. Thanks for the kind comments on my blog..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda and thanks for dropping by :-)

      Delete
  11. Absolutely beautiful ..... I have travelled quite a lot in my life but, I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to Ireland !! I must do something about that !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes do Jackie, I think you'll like it. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful light... gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete