Sunday 12 July 2015

Ballysaggartmore Towers


The other day we had a jaunt over to the Ballysaggartmore Towers or 'The Towers' as they're known locally, near Lismore, Waterford. They're reached by a woodland loop walk of about 2km, with a small stream running alongside the path.

 
 
The Towers were built in 1834 for Arthur Kiely-Ussher as main entrance lodges to Ballysaggartmore House to please his wife, who apparently wanted to keep up with her sister-in-law who lived at the grand Strancally Castle.
 
 
 
 
Arthur also planned to build a huge mansion, but that didn't materialize as he ran out of money.
The majority of his 8000 acre estate was rented to tenant farmers, but he was a cruel landlord, evicting tenants who were unable to pay the rent during the harsh famine. There was a plot to kill him during that time, but it was unsuccessful.
 
 
Following Arthur's death in 1862, the estate was sold by a liquidator and later the house was destroyed in an arson attack during the civil war.
 
Across the bridge and through the arch, the path carries on to the other tower.
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Nothing to do with the Towers, but I couldn't resist posting these photos of some gorgeous little calves in a field near us.
 
 
 
Ermintrude. :-)
 
 
Thanks for dropping by.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the always enjoy your jaunts around Ireland Debs. Love the photographs of the adorable calves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, they're really sweet aren't they, just like your little calves.. :-)

      Delete
  2. It looks a lovely place to visit, pity it's so far away from us. love the pictures of the calves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely Anne and very tranquil. I'm tempted to have the photo of Ermintrude enlarged and put on my wall. :-)

      Delete
  3. Really beautiful and so atmospheric. Such a stunning country. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jackie, I could sit there all day.xx

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for the late comment - being having computer problems :(

    A really interesting post with some lovely photos - would love to visit The Towers it looks fascinating. Adorable photos of the calves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read on your blog that you were having trouble. Please don't apologize, I'm glad that you're sorted now. Thanks for popping in. :-)

      Delete
  5. It's hard imagining such beautiful buildings being essentially just gatehouses! Glad to see you blogging again, and I love the calf photos! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think that they would make lovely dwellings, it seems such a waste that they're standing empty. Thanks Mandy. Xx

      Delete
  6. Great place to visit and some very good photos. Love the calves. Our neighbour's cow gave birth to a calf in the field next to us yesterday evening. It was so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, they are so sweet when they're small.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place, and love the calf photos, just don't like them when they grow large, they can see the fear in my eyes !
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I prefer them when they're small too. :-)

      Delete
  8. Hello Deb - I hope you and your family are all keeping well - Ballysaggatmore
    Towers looks a very interesting place and I am sure the 2km walk is brillianr - I love the calves and what a wonderful shot of Ermintrude - thankyou for your comment on my blog - I read your previous blog too - I have not blogged for a while life has been too demanding - Take care - Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Jane, I've not been able to blog as much as I'd like lately. Thanks for dropping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. Sorry I'm late Deb ..... had computer problems. What a beautiful, fairytale castle, ..... and lovely photographs. Note to self .... must visit Ireland soon !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do, Jackie, I don't think you'll be disappointed. xx

      Delete